Fearless Fred and the Dragon is a stunning, poetic, and sweetly surprising picture book about a little boy and his dog as they set out into the world to find a dragon! It feels timeless yet modern, dramatic but adorable, and whisks you into the wonderfully imaginative world of childhood.
“He rode into the distance, his helmet on his head. Gallop, gallop went the hooves as through the fields he sped.”
Title: Fearless Fred and the Dragon
Author: Maureen Sudlow
Illustrator: Kat Quin Merewether
Kiwis Soar Publications, 2013, Fiction. 32 pages. ISBN: 978-0-473-23482-9. Softcover.
Suitable For Ages: 3 – 9+
Adventure, Courage, Dragons, Imagination
“Fred set out to be a knight with tinfoil for his armour. He took his arrows and his sword in case there was some drama.
A little boy sets out into the world with his trusty dog to be a knight!
Links To Resources:
- History of the Medieval Knight
- Information about Training a Knight
- A Great Article in the Smithsonian about Where Dragons Came From
Why I Like Fearless Fred and the Dragon and Why You Should Read It:
- It is disarmingly humorous. The illustrations and poetry have such a romantic and dramatic feel to them, that when he does confront his dragon, it is so surprising you can’t help but laugh. Not giggle, not chuckle, but wholeheartedly laugh.
- The illustrations are magnificent and compliment the verse perfectly. Each spread of bold, rich colors alternates between what an onlooker would see with what Fred is feeling as his rides his tricycle in search of adventure.
- The syncopation of the poetry and the illustrations is perfectly done.
- This book is only good things — an adventure, a dramatic climax, and fish and chips for tea afterwards.
- My son could not have enjoyed this book more! He had me read it to me countless times and I’ve heard him quote lines from the book while playing.
- Readers of all ages will be struck by the beauty, simplicity, and universality of this book.
- Fearless Fred and the Dragon is a sweet book that spurs the imagination with a quiet but unique flare that could only come from the wonderful country of New Zealand.
Where to Get it:
- [Online] Bigcartel.com — you can also see more beautiful images from the book
- [Online] Kiwi-soar.com — you can also purchase directly from the author
- [Library] Worldcat.org – Ask your library for it. If you’re in New Zealand, many libraries have it!
- Author: Maureen Sudlow — wonderful site! I read it daily for a moment of peace, inspiration, and introspection.
- Illustrator: Kat Quin Merewether
More Reviews of this Book:
Where Obtained: I received a review copy from the author. No other compensation was received. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
FTC Disclosures: Some of the links in the post above are Amazon affiliate links and others are IndieBound affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase something, I will receive an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Which goes to fund my family’s picture book habit. It’s a vicious cycle, but we manage. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”