Today over at The Broke and the Bookish is Top Ten Tuesday.
Today’s meme is Top Ten Favorite Books of 2012.
What were some of your favorite picture books this year?
Here are 10 of mine.
1. Little Bird — A sweet and beautiful book that I have loved reading over and over again with my son.
2. Nighttime Ninja — A beautiful book that made me laugh and has taught my son how to be, “quiet like a ninja.”
3. The Insomniacs — Another beautiful, creative, and fun book about a family learning to do what works best for them.
4. Old Robert and the Sea-Silly Cats — A simple, beautiful, and rhythmic book that is enchanting and lovely.
5. Nursery Rhyme Comics — Funny, smart, and creative. This book puts new life into nursery rhymes and makes reading them to my son a joy.
6. The Amazing Hamweenie — A wonderful work of art, creativity, and humor. My son can now recite this book with its impressive vocabulary. I’m floored every time I hear him “read” it to me.
7. Cecil the Pet Glacier — A fun and whimsical book with beautifully done artwork and fantastic vocabulary. My two-year-old son now pretends that he’s working in his topiary garden. It’s wonderful and surprising.
8. Red Knit Cap Girl — This is such a beautiful book — both artwork wise and text. It’s a great book to read when you want to experience beauty.
9. Milo’s Hat Trick — This is a fun and sweet book that we read over and over again. It makes me smile every time we read it.
10. The Hero of Little Street — This is a wonderful wordless picture book to experience with my son. The artwork is beautiful and we get to create our own text. Just today my son and I pretended to play flutes and summon all the dogs. So much fun!
FTC Disclosures: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” If you click on the link and purchase the book, I will receive an affiliate commission. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
I’d love to read the ninja one 😀 Looks great 😀
I haven’t read a picture book in ages! 🙂
Yeah, it had been a long time since I had read picture books, too. Having kids makes you do things like that. 🙂 I’m totally digging it though! I love your TTT list. You’ve got some really great books on it! 🙂
I’ve only read Red Knit Cap Girl! Sometimes I can’t believe how many picture books I still haven’t read because it feels like I’m reading them ALL THE TIME! 🙂 I do have Nighttime Ninja on hold at the library though, and now I’ll definitely be checking out the others you mentioned as well.
This is an excellent list!
Thank you! 🙂 I’m looking forward to what 2013 has in picture books.
I loved The Insomniacs, especially the illustrations! (I’m such a night owl that I wish it were possible I could do the same as the family in the book.) I will have to check out some others on your list here — they all look like cute stories with wonderful artwork to boot.
Thank you! I hope you find some you enjoy! I’ve been so impressed with the artwork in picture books. It is amazing watching the art progress and change over the years.
The Insomniacs looks like a really fun read!
Alice @ Alice in Readerland
These seem like great books. Most of them I haven’t ever heard of, so I will have to put some of these on my to read list for this year! Thanks for the suggestions 🙂
My pleasure! Thank you for reading and commenting! I hope you like them! I’m looking forward to reading about the books you enjoy in 2013! 🙂
Thanks for the suggestions. My daughter and I are copying the list now.
My pleasure! Your blog: http://drawingsforjade.com/ is fantastic! Your walls and my walls look the same. I love having my child’s artwork on the walls. Your daughter is very talented. 🙂
Thanks. I’ve enjoyed reading your blog too. Maybe post some pics of your child’s artwork—I’d love to see them!
Wow, your blog is gorgeous. Lots of great ideas here.
Thank you so much! 🙂